You can never tell whether your AV app is working, until something goes wrong. This harmless test will tell you if it's doing it's job:
- Open a text editor (e.g. Notepad).
- Copy-paste the following string (one line) into the editor:
- Save the file as EICAR.COM on your desktop.
- Open a CMD window and try to execute this .COM file (or simply double-click the file on Desktop).
- At this point, your AV should report the file as suffering from the EICAR virus.
- To further test your AV, you can zip the file, send it as an email attachment, etc.
- Try sending it to GMail, to see wheteher Google's AV manages to identify it. Repeat with Yahoo, Hotmail etc.
Post a comment and let me know how your AV passed this test. Hopefully we can come up with some interesting results.